Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas
I like to have a themed menu when serving a crowd. I served this dish with hush puppies as part of a Southern themed dinner.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 c chopped onions
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried leaf thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 16 oz dry black-eyed peas
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4-6 c vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large pot over low heat, warm vegetable oil. Add onion and bell pepper: saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper, black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Saute another minute.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, brown sugar, and enough of the broth to cover by 2 inches. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Uncover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until peas are tender, adding more broth as needed.
- Sere hot with a sprinkling of green onions.