Vegan Soybean MeatballsThese meatballs are my copycat recipe of the Gardein meatballs. They are delicious, roll up beautifully, and do not crumble while cooking.
Makes about 30 (1-inch) meatballs.
- 2 1/4 c cooked soybeans, drained
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp miller's wheat bran
- 2 Tbsp gluten flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp dry minced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp barley malt extract
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground annatto
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients together a few minutes, or until a coarse but cohesive "dough" comes together.
- Scoop up bits of dough and roll them between your palms to make 1-inch meatballs.
- Pour 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat until hot. Place the meatballs in the hot oil and fry briefly, rolling them over with a spoon until browned on all sides.
- Serve with pasta and marinara sauce, or use for Swedish meatballs or meatball sandwiches.