Vegan Italian SausageWe love the spicy flavor and great texture of this sausage. Use this recipe to make sausage patties for Italian grinder sandwiches or to make sausage balls or crumbles for casseroles and pasta dishes.
Makes 8 medium sausage patties.
- 1 c TSP (TVP) bits or granules
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1/4 c vegetable oil (plus oil for frying)
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 c plus 1 Tbsp tepid water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 c instant potato flakes (potato buds)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- In a medium bowl, blend the textured soy protein, boiling water, and 1/4 cup oil. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the chia seeds in the tepid water until somewhat gelatinous (about 1-2 minutes). Add to TSP along with the soy sauce.
- Blend the remaining ingredients and add them to the TSP mixture. Mix well.
- With clean hands, form 8 medium patties.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On the stove-top, warm up a large skillet over a medium flame.
- Coat the bottom of the skillet with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil and cook the patties a couple of minutes, or until browned. Turn over and brown the other sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Place the browned patties on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and firm. Allow to stand 5 minutes for best texture.
- Serve warm on buns, cold in sandwiches, or hot as a main course with pasta or potatoes. They may also be crumbled for casseroles or refrigerated/frozen and reheated in an oiled skillet.