Tofu Matzo BallsThese little Tofu Matzo Balls go perfectly in Tofu Matzo Ball Soup. They also can be nestled into a sweet and sour sauce and served with fried rice or chow mien. High in protein and low in fat, they add needed balance to a vegetarian meal. Buy a canister of matzo meal in the kosher section of your supermarket or crush your own matzos.
Makes about 18 balls.
- 1/2 block of firm or extra firm tofu (about 6 oz)
- 1/4 c unsalted matzo meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- With a fork or by hand, mash tofu in a medium bowl until it forms a smooth dough.
- Add matzo meal, salt, pepper, flour and egg. Blend well.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over low-medium heat.
- Form walnut sized balls with the dough and saute until light brown on all sides, turning frequently with two spoons or chop sticks.