No meat is required to make nutritious oatmeal meatballs. Serve them with spaghetti, in sandwiches, in soups, or just as a snack with marinara or your favorite dipping sauce.
Makes about 40 (1-inch) meatballs.
- 1 1/2 c tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (unsalted)
- 1 1/2 tsp dry parsley flakes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c quick oats
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the tomato juice, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Italian seaoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the oatmeal. Cover, and allow to stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and oil a large baking sheet.
- Roll the oat mixture in the palms of your hands, forming 1-inch balls. Place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes. Turn over meatballs and bake another 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving or adding to your favorite dishes. Meatballs may be refrigerated up to a week. They may also be frozen for up to 3 months.