Brazil Nut MeatballsThese meatballs are baked rather than fried, and are full of protein and lower in fat. They work well in Italian meals, on sandwiches, or as an appetizer with dipping sauce.
Makes about 2 dozen meatballs.
- 1/2 c whole Brazil nuts
- 1/2 c TVP bits*
- 1/4 tsp dry sage
- 1/4 tsp dry marjoram
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 c dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- Place Brazil nuts in a chopper or food processor and process until ground. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add TVP, sage, marjoram, salt and pepper. Pour in the boiling water and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and oil. Fold in the bread crumbs.
- Add the bread crumb mixture to the TVP mixture and blend well. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil a large baking sheet. Form 1-inch balls with the nut mixture and place them all on the baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven briefly and turn all meatballs over. Return to oven for 10 minutes more. Serve on top of spaghetti with a generous ladle of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes as desired.