Vegan Black-Eyed Pea BurgersVery meaty and very easy to make, these burgers are great on sprouted wheat buns with tomatoes and arugula.
Makes 4 medium burgers.
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 c cooked black-eyed peas, drained well
- 1 c old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (plus more for frying)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced (or 1 tsp dry)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chia seeds and water. Allow to stand a few minutes until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, mix the black-eyed peas, oats, oil, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chia seeds and knead all together with clean hands, breaking up the peas a bit and forming a stiff dough-like mixture. Allow to stand 15 minutes to absorb moisture.
- Divide the mixture in four and form each into a burger shape.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Place burgers in the hot oil and fry about 5 minutes, turning 3 or 4 times.
- Place burgers on buns and serve hot with all the trimmings.