Savory Okara CakesThe soybean pulp (called 'okara'), which is left over after making soy milk, is still rich in protein, vitamins and fiber. It also tastes wonderful in these tender dinner cakes. Serve with a dollop of tartar sauce and a side of mashed potatoes.
Makes about 6-7 medium cakes.
- 1 c okara
- 2/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 c sliced green onions
- 1/3 c fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (divided use)
- 1 tsp dry savory herb
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- In a medium bowl, blend together the okara, cheese, green onions, bread crumbs, one tablespoon of the oil, savory, season salt and cayenne. Mix well.
- Use a patty form or use your hands to shape 6-7 equal-sized cakes.
- Over a medium setting, heat a heavy skillet with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add cakes and cook a few minutes on each side, or until browned. Serve hot or chilled with tartar sauce.