Roasted Vegetable SandwichesUse my recipe for Pesto Sauce with Capers for a wonderful background flavor in this sandwich. Vary the vegetables as you like, but be sure to use good French rolls for this delightful sandwich.
Make 2 large sandwiches.
- 2 French rolls
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 6-8 green onions or baby leeks
- 5-6 oz Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1-2 pickled hot peppers or pepperoncini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Pesto Sauce
- 4-6 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- Slice the rolls in half and place all four slices cut-side up on a baking sheet that can fit in your broiler.
- Cut the red bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and stems. Cut into thick strips.
- Cut the roots off the green onions and cut onions into 4-inch strips. If the onion strips are thick, slice them lengthwise down the middle.
- Cut the mushrooms in half and cut the pickled hot peppers into strips.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Place the red bell peppers, green onions, mushrooms, and pickled hot peppers in the skillet and roast 5 minutes, turning a couple of times to get browned areas on all sides. Remove from burner.
- Place a tablespoon of pesto on the bottom half of each roll. Place 1/4 of the vegetables on each half roll.
- Top each half-sandwich with mozzarella cheese.
- In oven, adjust broiler rack to be 6 inches from flame. Turn broiler on and place sandwiches under the flame for 1-2 minutes or just until cheese melts and browns a bit in places.
- Fold top over bottom of sandwich and serve hot.