Lentil Sloppy Joes
This vegetarian version of Sloppy Joes has all the spice and flavor of the original. I like to serve it on homemade Buttermilk Burger Buns. (Recipe for the buns is coming soon!)
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 c green onion, chopped
- 1/2 c red/orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 c cooked lentils, drained
- 1/4 c water or lentil cooking liquid
- 1/3 c ketchup
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp honey, agave nectar or corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 6 medium burger buns
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 6 cup baking dish.
- In a 6-8 cup saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Saute about 4 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, ketchup, molasses, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Stir and bring to heat. Remove from flame.
- Pour lentil mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Split burger buns and fill each with 1/6 of the lentil mixture. Serve hot.