Kidney Bean TacosKidney beans lend a hearty flavor and texture to these vegetarian tacos. I think you will enjoy the touch of citrus in the slaw topping too.
Makes 6-8 tacos.
- 1 c shredded cabbage
- 1/4 c carrot, shredded
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1/2 c oranges, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp lime or lemon juice
- dash Pico de Gallo seasoning (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh poblano or anaheim pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c kidney beans (pre-cooked or canned), rinsed and drained
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- In a small bowl, blend together the ingredients for the topping. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over low heat, saute the onion and poblano pepper for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cilantro, oregano, chili powder and salt and saute another 30 seconds. Stir in the kidney beans and, using a potato masher, crush the beans and blend them into the sauteed vegetables. Stir and saute another minute, and remove from flame.
- In a small dry skillet, heat the corn tortillas one at a time until hot and pliable. Fill each with a couple of tablespoons of the skillet mixture. Top with cheese and finish off with a generous amount of the slaw topping. Serve with sour cream and salsa.