Hawaiian Sweet-Sour-Hot Vegan FranksWorthington Loma Linda Big Franks are used in this recipe, and their flavor closely parallels a pork or "Spam" version that is common in Hawaiian dishes. With a slight kick from the poblanos, this is delicious!
- 2 poblano chili peppersor use bell peppers
- 4 Worthington Loma Linda Big Franks (1/2 of 20 oz can)
- 1-8.75 oz can pineapple tidbits (1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 3/4 c water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 c cooked rice
- Remove stem, seeds and membranes from poblanos. Cut in 1 inch squares. Cut Big Franks in quarters lengthwise. Then cut them in half crosswise, making strips.
- Drain the pineapple tidbits, reserving juice.
- In a small bowl or beaker, blend brown sugar, corn starch, vinegar, and mustard. Add reserved pineapple juice and water; blend.
- In a large skillet over a medium flame, heat the oil and spread evenly. Brown the poblanos and Big Franks strips for about 5 minutes, turning gently once or twice.
- Pour in the liquid mixture and stir gently until thickened and bubbly. Cover, Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add pineapple tidbits and stir through. Serve hot over rice.