Black Bean Couscous PattiesThese spicy patties make great veggie burger sandwiches, especially when served on homemade buns, such as Sesame Seed Sandwich Rolls.
Makes 8 large patties.
- 1/3 c couscous
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 c canned corn, drained
- 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c finely chopped onion
- 1/3 c finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Place couscous, chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil; blend well.
- Use a potato masher to break down bean mixture a bit. Allow to stand 15 minutes or more.
- Preheat heavy skillet or griddle on medium. Add some of the oil and coat bottom of cooking surface.
- Form half-cup patties shapes with hands (mixture will be very moist). Working in one or two batches, fry the patties a few minutes on each side until set up and browned.
- Remove to platter. Serve on buns with melted cheese and all the trimmings, or serve as as is, with a side of potatoes and vegetables.