Eggplant Wheat Germ Pie
The eggplant in this pie really shines and remains firm and tender. The combination of spices brings out the nutty goodness of the wheat germ component.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 c saltine soda cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c raw wheat germ
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c raw wheat germ
- 1 c shredded mild cheddar
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c milk
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the 6 tablespoons of butter. Pour in medium bowl with the soda crackers and the fourth-cup wheat germ. Blend well.
- Spread this mixture in a 9-inch pie pan, pressing it in at the bottom and sides to firm it.
- Bake pie crust 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Peel eggplant and cut in quarters lengthwise. Thinly slice at about 1/8 inch thick. Cut the half-onion in thin semi-circle slices.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add eggplant, onion slices, and chopped green onions; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add marjoram, tarragon, salt and pepper to the skillet and toss well.
- Blend the Parmesan and cheddar cheese in a small bowl.
- Place half of the eggplant mixture in the pie shell. Top with one-third of the wheat germ and half of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat these layers.
- Beat the eggs well and blend in the milk. Pour evenly over the pie. Place tomato slices on top and sprinkle with remaining wheat germ.
- Bake 45 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving hot.