Zucchini Herb Pie
Based on an old-fashioned recipe, this zucchini pie has been updated without losing its wonderful flavor. The crust is a bread-like shell made with high protein wheat germ.
Wheat Germ Crust
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp raw wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 3-4 Tbsp ice water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 9.5-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl, blend together the all purpose flour, wheat germ, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the sour cream with a fork until evenly distributed.
- Add ice water gradually, until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead 2 minutes.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Roll with a rolling pin to make a 10 inch disc. Transfer to prepared pie dish and crimp edges.
- Use a fork to prick the bottom, sides and edges. Bake 10 minutes. Cool while preparing filling.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 c zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 c onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dry dill
- 1 Tbsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided use)
- 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add zucchini and onion. Salute 10 minutes.
- Stir in the dill, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the eggs and 6 oz (about 2 cups) of the cheese; blend thoroughly.
- Spread the bottom of the baked pie shell with the mustard.
- Pour in the filling and smooth. Add remaining cheese to top.
- Cut strips of tin foil and cover the outer crust with it, shiny side out.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until set up in the center.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving hot.