Zucchini CreoleThis low calorie, low carbohydrate dish is delicious as is, but you can add a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top if desired. We like to serve it with steamed rice or homemade buttermilk bread. This is a light and tasty vegan dish and the zucchini is not mushy or overcooked.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c chopped green pepper
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/2 c chopped celery
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 c chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium zucchini, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on a medium low setting. Saute the green pepper, onion, celery, and green onions for about 2 minutes. Add the jalapeño, garlic, creole seasoning and basil and saute another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Place half of the zucchini slices evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the skillet mixture. Repeat once. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the zucchini is crisp tender. Sprinkle with minced parsley and serve hot.