Vegetarian Lamb Curry
Use coconut oil and plenty of unsweetened coconut flakes in this vegetarian version of lamb curry. They provide a lovely background note in the dish.
- 1 c vegetarian lamb chunks (textured soy protein)
- 2 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or veg oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger root, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 whole small dry chili pepper
- 1 whole black cardamon pod (optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 c frozen peas and carrots (or mixed vegetables)
- 1/4 c unsweetened shredded dry coconut
- Soak the vegetarian lamb chunks in the boiling water for 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy pot on medium heat, warm the coconut oil. Saute the onions for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper, chili pepper, and cardamom. Saute another 30 seconds.
- Add vegetarian lamb with soaking broth, diced tomatoes, frozen peas/carrots and coconut. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove dry chili pepper and cardamon pod. Serve with steamed rice. A dollop of plain yogurt may be added to each serving if desired.