Vegetable Pot Pie
Makes 8 small (6-inch) pies or 2 large (9.5-inch) pot pies.
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 c cold vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c cold cream cheese, diced
- 5-6 Tbsp ice water
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dry thyme)
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c vegetarian broth
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c fresh baby string beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen green peas
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut the size of large peas
- 1/2 medium yellow squash, diced small
- 10 baby red potato, unpeeled, diced
Mixing the Pastry:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and cream of tartar.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening and diced cream cheese until the mixture has pea-sized lumps.
- Add the ice water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Fold dough tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate while proceeding with recipe.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium low heat, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and all purpose flour; stir until it bubbles.
- Add the vegetarian broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until as thick as a medium white sauce.
- Remove from heat and add the vegetables. Stir well.
Assembly and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide the pie dough into 8 small or 2 large balls. On lightly floured surface, sprinkle each dough ball with flour and it out to roughly the size of the pie plate.
- Fill each pie plate with the vegetable filling, dividing it evenly.
- Lay the pie crust discs on top of the filling. (Do not worry if they do not go all the way to the edges of the pie dish.)
- Place pot pies on baking sheets to catch any drips. Bake 30 minutes for the small pies and 40 minutes for the large ones, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.