TVP Vegetarian Beefy CrumblesThis is a basic vegetarian version of ground beef, made from dry textured vegetable protein granules (TVP) and dried eggs, items you can keep on your pantry shelves as staples.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of crumbles.
- 1/4 c dried egg powder
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c TVP plain soy granules
- 2 tsp beef style broth and seasoning mix (such as McKay's)
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2tsp browning sauce
- 4 drops smoke flavoring
- 1tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large bowl, dissolve the dried egg powder in the water until smooth.
- Add TVP and stir well.
- Add beef style broth mix, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, browning sauce, smoke flavor, nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic, pepper and bay leaf.
- In a large, heavy skillet, bring this mixture to simmering over medium low, stirring well.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer, stirring often for about 10 minutes or until the water is completely dissolved and the mixture loses some of its stickiness.
- Cool and remove the bay leaf.
- Cover or wrap carefully and store in the refrigerator for up to four days or in the freezer for up to two months.
- Add to your favorite recipes as desired.