TVP Soya Stuffed Peppers
High in protein and very satisfying, these stuffed peppers are easy and economical. I like to serve them with a baked potato and green salad.
- 3/4 c textured vegetable protein (soya granules)
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1/4 tsp browning sauce
- 6 drops liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 medium small bell peppers (2"x4")
- 1 c cooked rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground fennugreek
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the TVP in the boiling water. Add browning sauce and liquid smoke. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed into the soya.
- Slice off the tops of the bell peppers. Scoop out the seeds and membranes and place the hollowed out peppers in a small baking dish, just large enough to allow them to stand up side by side. Trim any good bell pepper from the caps and finely chop it; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm the oil. Saute the finely chopped bell pepper (from the trimmed caps), the onion, garlic, and TVP for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from burner and add the rice, egg, salt and pepper; blend well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, blend the crushed tomatoes with the sugar, oregano, fennugreek, and red pepper flakes.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the TVP mixture. Pour the sauce around the peppers. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with the sauce on top and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if desired.