Terkettes Style SeitanHere is a way to approximate the taste and texture of Cedar Lakes Terkettes. This seitan will work well in any of the Terkettes recipes on this site. Once made, the seitan may be frozen with its broth in one-cup freezer containers and easily defrosted for individual recipes.
Makes 6 cups of seitan and broth.
- 6 c water
- 1 Tbsp McKay's Chicken Style Broth and Seasoning Mix
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp McKay's Chicken Style Seasoning Broth Mix
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 c water
- In a large pot, mix the Cooking Broth ingredients and place over medium high.
- Bring to simmering and turn down to low.
- Crush the celery seeds in a mortar and pestle or in a spice mill.
- Place them in a large bowl.
- Add the garlic powder, McKay's broth mix, turmeric and vital wheat gluten; blend together well.
- Add the oil and water and immediately knead the dough in the bowl until blended.
- Allow to rest two minutes.
- Turn out on a board and knead a minute or two until smooth.
- With a pair of kitchen shears, cut 1/3-1/2 inch dollops of dough and place them on the board. (Remember that the dough will expand to nearly double its size when cooked.)
- Drop the dollops of dough one by one into the simmering broth until all are in the pot.
- Turn the heat up to medium until the pot is simmering again.
- Turn to low and cover.
- Simmer covered for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring several times.