Stir-Fried Kohlrabi and SeitanUse my recipe for Stir-Fry Ready Seitan in making this dish or the seitan of your choice. Serve over Perfect Vegetarian Brown Rice.
- 2 large kohlrabies with leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, julienne-cut
- 1 medium onion, sliced in semi-circles
- 1 c Stir-Fry Ready Seitan or similar
- 1 Tbsp veg oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 c veg broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- salt as needed
- Separate kohlrabi bulbs from their greens. Thinly shred the greens and set aside. Peel bulbs and cut in half. Thinly (1/8") slice each half-bulb.
- In a large wok or heavy pot over high heat, warm the vegetable oil and sesame oil. Add seitan and brown on all sides for a couple of minutes. Remove to a holding plate.
- Pour the vegetable broth in wok and scrape bottom of pot to pick up any bits of seitan into the broth. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic, rice vinegar and black mustard seeds. Mix well.
- Add kohlrabi bulb slices, carrots, and onion. Bring to boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook 8 minutes.
- Add shredded greens and stir over high heat for 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender and still vividly green.
- In a small bowl, mix corn starch in 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add to wok and stir until everything in lightly coated. Check for salt level, adding if needed. Serve hot over brown rice.