Roasted Sweet Potato PieBecause we roasted the sweet potatoes before pureeing them and adding the spices, this sweet potato pie is big on flavor. This pie is good warm, but the flavors really shine when served cold.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 10 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 9.5 inch deep single pie shell, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Prick a few holes in sweet potatoes with fork and bake directly on oven rack for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and puree the cooled sweet potatoes with a food processor or by hand. Make sure you remove all lumps.
- Place the puree in a large bowl and add the evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and salt. Blend well and pour into the pie shell.
- Place the pie in the lower half of oven and bake about 40-45 minutes, or until the outer 1 inch of the pie filling is set up, and only the center portion jiggles slightly when moved.
- Cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or sour cream.