Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
This is a hearty vegan main course that goes especially well with baked potatoes.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano or jalapeno chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 3/4 c vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp ketchup (plus more for topping
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 c finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c beef-flavored or plain TVP* bits
- 1/2 c white quinoa
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 large bell peppers
- In a 2-quart or large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and chili pepper. Sauté another minute.
- Pour in the broth. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Add TVP bits, quinoa, and chia seeds. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from burner and leave covered for 10 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers in half vertically. Remove stems, membranes and seeds. Lay the pepper halves side by side in an oiled 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish or similar.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Fill each bell pepper half with the pot mixture, gently pressing it into the crevices and mounding it up.. Cover baking dish with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and add a squirt of ketchup to each portion. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm with a side of potatoes.