Pico de Gallo BurritosModeled after fish burritos, this vegetarian "fish" burrito features strips of roasted eggplant. It has the crunch of the slaw topping and the creamy lime dressing. To make a larger amount of this creamy dressing, see our recipe for Pico de Gallo Salad Dressing.
Makes 6 burritos.
Pico de Gallo Dressing:
- 1/4 c mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp Pico de Gallo seasoning
- 2 c cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1-15 oz can black beans
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cabbage and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss. Set aside.
- Heat the black beans in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring frequently.
- When hot, drain well and set aside.
- Leaving the peel on, remove the stem and bottom of the eggplant. Cut in half lengthwise, and then cut each half into about 10-12 "sticks".
- Cut the red pepper in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and membranes, and cut each half into 10-12 "sticks"
- In a large skillet on high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and place half of the eggplant and red pepper sticks in a single layer.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes, turning once or twice, until charred in places and tender.
- Repeat with the remaining olive oil and vegetables.
- Carefully clean the skillet with a clean towel. Place back on a medium flame and heat the tortillas a minute or so on each side, or until pliable and hot.
- In each tortilla, place about 1/4 cup of black beans, one-sixth of the eggplant/red pepper mix, and one-sixth of the Pico de Gallo cabbage mixture.
- Serve warm.