Moroccan Eggplant with TVP
- 1 c TVP (textured vegetable/soy protein) strips or chunks
- 1 c boiling vegetable broth
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small globe eggplants
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger root, slivered
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 12 black, ripe olives, halved
- 1 c tomato juice
- 1/4 c chopped peanuts
- 1 c dry medium bulgur wheat (or brown rice)
- 2 c boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Soak TVP in the boiling vegetable stock for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain. Pat dry.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm one tablespoon of the olive oil. Add TVP and brown on all sides. Remove the TVP to a holding dish.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil; sauté the eggplant until browned on both sides.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger root and cilantro. Sauté another minute.
- Add back the TVP. Pour in the olives and tomato juice; mix well. Transfer this skillet mixture to a baking dish and cover tightly. Bake 45 minutes.
Grains and Assembly:
- In a medium baking dish, stir together the bulgur, boiling water, and salt.
- Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Serve eggplant mixture hot, on beds of bulgur. Sprinkle with more cilantro and the chopped peanuts.