Minty Jumbo Shells : VeganBy using garbanzo beans and tofu, this meal is high in protein and reduced in fats and cholesterol. The filling is creamy and delicious.
- 6 oz jumbo pasta shells
- 3/4 c fine bread crumbs (divided use)
- 1 c cooked garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 c chopped onion
- 4 c chopped green chard or spinach
- 8 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c marinara sauce
- Cook pasta shells for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente, in a large pot of boiling salted water. Drain well. Place the shells, slit side down, on a clean towel to dry more fully while proceeding with recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon about a third-cup of the sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish and spread over the entire bottom.
- In a food processor, place a half-cup of the bread crumbs and all of the remaining ingredients except for the marinara sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Use a butter knife to fill each shell with the food processor mixture. Place filled shells side by side in the prepared baking dish.
- Place a tablespoon or so of sauce on each shell. Sprinkle with the remaining fourth-cup of bread crumbs.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake uncovered another 10 minutes. Serve hot with extra sauce if desired.