Meatless Chorizo Couscous
Worthington Loma Linda now makes a convenient canned vegetarian chorizo that may be used to spice up some of your favorite dishes. The whole family will love this dish!
Serves 6-8. Prep: 10 minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes. Total time: 30 minutes.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (20 oz) can Loma Linda Spicy Chorizo
- 1 (30 oz) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 2 c fine couscous
- 1/2 c cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt (less if using salty broth)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil on a medium setting. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add garlic; saute another 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, chorizo, and black beans. Bring to simmer, stirring often.
- Stir in the broth, salt and pepper. Bring back to simmer.
- Lastly add the cilantro and couscous. Stir until simmering. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame, fluff with fork and allow to stand with cover on for 5 minutes. Serve hot with vegan or dairy sour cream and/or shredded cheese.
Note: I have used Loma Linda products for many years, and they are very convenient, delicious meat substitutes. Recently I received samples of new products from Loma Linda Foods, and I have used them in this recipe.