Eggplant Soya Gumbo : Slow CookerThis hearty gumbo stew has a rich flavor, yet is low in fat. I used a handful of mixed herbs from the garden, but fresh parsley also will work nicely here.
- 1 c beef-flavored soya chunks (TVP*)
- 4-5 c hot vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 8 oz okra, sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 c diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c fresh mixed herbs (or parsley)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- Soak soya chunks in hot broth 10 minutes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in large skillet on medium. Add okra and fry until browned on all sides. Transfer to 3 1/2 quart or larger crock pot (slow cooker).
- In same large skillet on medium, heat the remaining oil and add eggplant and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes.Transfer vegetables to crock pot.
- Add the soaked soya with broth to the crock pot, along with carrots and tomatoes.
- Mince the parsley and add it to the crock pot. Add garlic powder, onion powder, and Creole seasoning; stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring once mid-way. Serve hot with a sprinkling of grated Cotijo or Parmesan cheese.