Eggplant RoastThis eggplant Roast is an excellent choice for dinner with friends and family. It is easily doubled. Warm homemade rolls are all that is needed to make this a memorable meal.
- 1/2 csoy protein chunks (TSP or TVP)
- 1 c beef style vegetarian broth, hot
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp molasses (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs rosemary (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 c cooked garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut in eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 c ripe natural pitted olives
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F. In a small saucepan, heat the broth until simmering. Soak the soy protein chunks in the hot broth for ten minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, molasses, pepper, and one sprig of rosemary. Stir well and pour all in the bottom of a 2-quart roasting pan or Dutch oven.
- Add eggplant to the center of the roasting pan, cut side up, and coat with olive oil. Arrange the garbanzo beans, onion, potato, garlic, carrot, and olives around the eggplant. Place the remaining sprig of rosemary and a dash of salt on top.
- Cover the roasting dish and bake 75-90 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork tender and the liquid in the bottom of the pan is mostly absorbed. Serve hot from a serving platter or directly from the roaster.