Dixie Diners Club Chicken : Not Curry
Dixie Diners' Club vegetarian products are excellent, and I especially like the Chicken (Not!) Chunks. They really have a poultry texture and mild flavor. In this curry recipe, they are hardly distinguishable from lean chicken.
- 1 c Dixie Diners' Club Chicken (Not!) Chunks
- 1 c very hot water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 c vegetarian chicken style broth
- 1 1/2 c half 'n half cream
- 1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 c raisins (optional)
- Soak the Dixie Diners' Club chicken in the hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and tear each chunk once or twice to look more like chicken. (The tearing is optional.)
- In a medium pot on medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion, celery and apple. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and flour. Stir one minute.
- Add the broth, half n half, and coconut. Stir constantly until bubbly and thick.
- Fold in the chicken chunks and add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with raisins and serve over steamed rice.