Curried Lentil PieI keep canned lentils around for quick family meals. They save me a step in preparing a vegetarian entree. The phyllo dough in this vegan recipe saves another step, that of making pastry.
- 8 oz phyllo dough
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-20 oz can lentils or 2 c cooked lentils, drained
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3/8 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 c coconut milk
- 2/3 c instant potato buds
- If using a 1-pound package of phyllo, thaw in refrigerator 2 hours, slice the roll in half, making 2 shorter rolls. Wrap the first half in wax paper, place in freezer bag and return to freezer for future use. Thaw remaining half as per directions on package. When ready to begin recipe, place phyllo under a damp towel.
- For the filling, heat the olive oil on low in a large skillet. Saute the onion and bell pepper for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute. Place in large bowl.
- Add lentils, cilantro, curry powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes. In a smaller bowl, blend coconut milk and potato buds until the mixture looks like a thick, creamy porridge. Add to lentil mixture and stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Place one or two layers of phyllo in the baking dish, and brush lightly with olive oil. Repeat until half the phyllo is layered in the dish.
- Spread the lentil mixture evenly on top and smooth down. Place remaining phyllo sheets on top, oiling as above.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to rest briefly before cutting and serving.