African TVP Peanut Stew : Crock PotThis stew has a lovely peanut base, and is loaded with an array of veggies. It has no added fat and is low in carbohydrates. Other than chopping the vegetables, there is little preparation on this stew.
- 1/2 c TVP chunks
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 c diced eggplant with or without skins
- 1 c winter squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 1-29 oz can diced tomatoes and their liquid
- 2 c vegetarian broth
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp barley malt syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tsp gumbo ffilé (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c peanuts, chopped
- In a small bowl, soak the TVP in the boiling water for 15 minutes. Add the TVP and soaking liquid to a 2 quart crock pot.
- Stir in the eggplant, squash, onion, carrot, potato, celery, peas, lime juice, diced tomatoes with liquid, broth, peanut butter, barley malt syrup, gumbo file, ginger, basil garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Set the crock pot to high and cook 4 hours.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer another 2 hours. Set on warm until ready to serve. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts before serving.