Yogurt and Raisin Bran MuffinsI've been making my own yogurt lately. I use it not only for desserts, snacks, and breakfasts, but also for enriching baked goods. Here are some eggless bran muffins that are moist and mildly sweet.
Makes about 18 medium muffins.
- 1 c soy milk or dairy milk
- 1 c fine unprocessed wheat bran*
- 2 Tbsp honey or sugar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 3/4 c dark raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter 18 muffin cups.
- Heat the milk in a medium saucepan until just beginning to boil. Remove from stove and stir in the bran. Allow to stand 10 minutes while proceeding with recipe.
- In a large bowl, stir together the honey, molasses, and oil.
- On a sheet of wax paper, stir together the flour and baking soda. Using the wax paper to funnel in the flour mixture, add a third of it to the honey mixture and stir. Add a third of the yogurt and blend. Alternate flour and yogurt until all is incorporated.
- Add the bran mixture and use a whisk to beat until well blended. Stir in raisins.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin cups until they are about 2/3 full. Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the highest point comes out clean.
- Cool briefly in pan, then transfer muffins to a rack to fully cool.
Wheat bran is sometimes called "millers' bran". I love these muffins because they are not only delicious, but they provide a healthy amount of roughage, calcium, and iron.