This is an easy way to get the flavor of baked apples, while maintaining greater nutritional values. You can use baking apples or eating apples in this recipe and it will work well either way.
- 4 large apples
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp margarine or butter
- slurry of 1 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Remove the peel from the upper fourth of the apples and core them.
- Put them peeled side down into the boiling water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring back to the boil, turn down to low heat and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Leaving the cooking liquid in the saucepan, remove the apples with a slotted spoon to serving bowl(s).
- Add honey, cinnamon and margarine to the cooking liquid in the pot.
- Heat over medium high. Add the cornstarch slurry and stir until you have a thick, smooth syrup.
- Pour syrup over the apples and serve as is, or with a dollop of yogurt or drizzle of Mexican Crema.