Rhubarb Apple Pie
I bought 5 large stalks of rhubarb, and they turned out to make only 3 cups of chopped rhubarb, which wasn't enough to fill the pie. I added apples and the result was very good. My recipe follows:
Makes one large pie.
- 9.5-inch double pie crust
- 3 c chopped rhubarb (3/4-inch pieces)
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled, 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 c sugar
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll both pie crusts out on wax paper. Place the bottom crust in a 9.5-inch pie dish. Lay wax paper with second pastry on top and refrigerate both while proceeding with recipe.
- In a large bowl, toss together the rhubarb and apples.
- In a smaller bowl, blend together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Add to the rhubarb/apple mixture and blend well.
- Put the filling into the cold pie shell, distributing everything evenly to the edges. Dot with the tablespoon of butter.
- Put the top shell over the pie and crimp the edges.
- Brush the crust with the milk, avoiding the edges. Cut slits in the top.
- Place pie on a baking sheet to collect any drips.
- Bake about 55-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling begins to bubble through the slits a bit.
- Cool at least an hour before slicing and serving. Great with a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice cream!