This easy "open-face pie" is fun to make. You may use an all whole wheat crust if desired. It will still turn out flaky and be a perfect setting for the plum filling!
- 4 large plums, pitted, diced (1/4-inch)
- 1/4 c sugar (less if using very sweet plums)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp corn starch suspended in a Tbsp of water
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c ice water
- Place the plums in a saucepan; stir in the sugar, cinnamon, salt and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Add corn starch slurry and simmer another minute, or until thickened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the olive oil and ice water with a fork until viscous.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Use a fork to stir them together. Once somewhat incorporated, use clean hands to bring the dough into a ball without over-mixing.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper on your work surface. With a rolling pin, roll it into a 10-inch circle.
- Turn the edges in towards the center 1/4-inch to neaten them up.
- Spoon the filling into the center of the pastry and spread it evenly within 1-inch of the edges.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over the filling (about an inch) and pleat them every 2-inches or so.
- Sprinkle the slivered almonds over the filling.
- Carefully lift the galette by the parchment paper (so as not to tear it) onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool on baking sheet at least 15 minutes before slicing.