Plum Coffee Cake with Stevia
An eighth of this cake is less than 200 calories, and it makes a wonderful breakfast or lunchbox treat. I used a mix of yellow and purple plums. No added sugar is...
necessary in this recipe, only a touch of the natural, non-caloric sweetener, stevia. Be sure to look for a brand of stevia that is pure and has no added artificial ingredients. I used "Sweetleaf" brand and it was indistinguishable from sugar in flavor.
Makes 8 average pieces.
- 8-10 plums
- 2 pkts stevia (1 tsp powder or 12 drops liquid)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 c Whole Wheat Buttermilk Baking Mix
- 1 1/4 c milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Cut plums in half and remove pits. Slice fruit and place it in a large bowl.
- Add stevia, vanilla and almond extract to the plums and blend thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl or jug, whisk together the baking mix and milk until no large lumps appear. (Batter will have smaller lumps.)
- Pour batter in large bowl and mix with plum slices. Pour this fruited batter into the prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.