Pear Blackberry Crumble
The whole wheat flour and wheat germ in this recipe make this a nutritious dessert. Almond extract brings out the lovely flavors of the pears and berries.
- 4 medium Bartlett pears
- 3 c frozen blackberries or other berries
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1 stick of margarine or butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c wheat germ
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter an 11" X 7" X 2" baking pan. Core and slice the pears thinly. (No need to peel them.) Spread the pears evenly on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Cover with a layer of blackberries. Sprinkle evenly with the sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted margarine, flour, wheat germ, brown sugar and almond extract. Stir well and crumble with fingers until it is the consistency of wet sand.
- Cover the fruit evenly with the crumb topping and place on baking sheet to catch drips. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the fruit begins to bubble at the edges and the crumb topping is golden. Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream.