Orange Spice Sweet Potato Pie
The touch of orange zest and wide range of spices in this version of sweet potato pie makes it very intense. With a cup of coffee, it's to die for.
- 1 unbaked 9.5? graham cracker pie crust* see below
- 3-4 baked sweet potatoes, cooled, peeled and mashed to make 1 1/2 C
- 1 - 15 oz can evaporated milk, chilled, divided use
- 3 Tbsp custard powder
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 c raw cane sugar or use 3/4 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick melted butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In food processor or stand mixer, put in evaporated milk and process till thick and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth and dissolved.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake in center of oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool at least an hour to set up.
- Serve warm or cool with whipped topping.