Lemon Semolina Cake
Semolina cake, or "Ravani", is popular in Greece and many Mid-Eastern countries. It has a rustic texture, and is saturated with a flavorful sweet syrup!
Makes one (9-inch) cake.
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/2 c water
- 1/3 c lemon juice
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 3/4 c fine semolina flour
- 1/2 c all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Place the sugar, honey, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Cake Batter and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Place eggs in a large mixer bowl. Beat with a rotary or hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until thick and yellow.
- Add oil and lemon zest; beat another minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the semolina, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones; stir until just combined. Spoon into the prepared baking pan and smooth top.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately poke the cake's top with a toothpick every inch or so. Gradually pour the cooled syrup over the cake, allowing time for it to absorb inside. Cool until room temperature, then place in a cake stand several hours or overnight.
- Serve room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.