Honey Carrot CakeThere is no refined sugar in this recipe, yet it is fancy and festive enough for a birthday or other special event. This carrot cake is not overly sweet, but it is still moist and rich.
Makes 9 square pieces.
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 c honey
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c finely grated carrot
- 1/2 c canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 c walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In the large mixing bowl of your stand mixer, beat the honey, sour cream, egg, oil and vanilla on low until well blended.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture, and mix until all of the dry ingredients are absorbed.
- Stir in the carrot, pineapple, and walnuts by hand.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting with cream cheese frosting*.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Store in refrigerator using a layer of waxed paper over the frosting and then a layer of tin foil to seal cake completely.
- In stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, honey and vanilla until smooth and well blended.