Fresh Pear CakeI used juicy, ripe Bartlett pears in this recipe, but any ripe pears will work. It makes a very moist cake that can go in a lunch box or be served with tea or coffee. With the icing option, it is fancy enough for a company dessert. This pear cake freezes well, so don't hesitate to make an extra one!
- 2 c fresh very ripe pears, chopped fine
- 1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine pears, sugar and nuts, let stand briefly.
- Add dry ingredients to pears. Fold in well.
- Add egg, butter, sour cream and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon, or by hand.
- Pour in buttered 9X11 pan and bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
ICING (optional): Mix a little powdered sugar and milk together. Punch holes in cake and let icing run down in cake. Then put a little on top.