Apple Cheddar Braided Pastries
This recipe was submitted by a follower of this blog, and we have really enjoyed it. Not too sweet, this pastry makes a special breakfast treat or dessert.
Makes 4 large pastries.
- 1/4 c warm water (105 degrees F)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 4 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 4 medium Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 Tbsp water (egg wash)
- 2 Tbsp coarse or raw sugar
- 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix sponge ingredients together, cover, and allow to stand 15 minutes.
- Place sponge in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Add some of the dough ingredients, including sour cream, butter, egg, sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix on low a minute.
- Gradually add all the flour. Switch to a dough hook, and knead on low speed for 5-6 minutes, or until a smooth dough forms, adding a bit of water as needed.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double (60-90 minutes).
- Prepare filling during rise: Boil diced apples, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a little water until soft, but with a bit of bite (about 10 minutes). Cool while proceeding.
- Punch dough down, divide into 4 parts, then roll each on a lightly floured board, forming rectangles that are 1/4 inch thick.
- To form braiding, place a pastry with its wide side lying left to right in front of you. Slice 45 degree angled cuts every inch along the left and right thirds of the rectangle. Repeat with each pastry.
- Add apple filling along the middle third of each pastry. Sprinkle the 1 1/3 cup cheddar cheese on top of the filling. Braid the sliced, outer thirds of the dough inward over the filling.
- Place filled pastries on a greased baking sheet, cover lightly, and let rise for 45-50 minutes or until puffy. During the last part of the rise, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush pastries with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar; then top with the 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn pan(s) around for even baking, and continue baking another 15 minutes, or until slightly golden on top. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.