We recently found a Scottish thistle mold in a second hand store. I have used it to make a shortbread that is slightly lower in sugar and much higher in protein. It melts in your mouth with its buttery flavor!
- 1/2 c salted butter, softened
- 1/4 c sugar
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and butter an 8-inch shortbread mold. (Be sure to get in all the crevices of the design.)
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the all purpose flour, almond flour, and almond extract.
- When the dough comes together, turn it out on an un-floured surfaced and knead for 1 minute.
- Flatten the dough into a disc. Place in prepared pan and press out to fit evenly. Press down a bit to be sure it fills in the mold pattern.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake in center oven for 35 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to stand in mold 10 minutes before loosening edges and flipping onto a plate. Cut into wedges immediately and cool before serving.