Almond Coconut Torte
Easy to make with homemade or store-bought almond meal, this torte has a delicate flavor and is a light, sweet ending to a good vegetarian meal.
Makes one 9-inch torte.
- 1 1/2 c almond meal
- 3/4 c unsweetened desiccated coconut (divided use)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9-inch spring-form pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the desiccated coconut.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed with the sugar and lemon zest until you have a creamy mixture.
- Add the almond meal and 1/2 cup of the coconut; beat for 2 to 3 minutes to incorporate.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and open the spring-form pan. Place torte on platter. and allow to cool a few minutes. Sprinkle top evenly with powdered sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.