Veggie Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
Wheat protein in the form of light gluten shreds is now available from Creative Foods under the label "Creative Cuisine". These versatile, low calorie protein shreds can be made to taste like chicken when re-hydrated with a bit of seasoning.
Makes 8 small enchiladas.
- 1 c light gluten shreds
- 1/3 c boiling water
- 1 tsp vegetarian chicken style broth mix
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (divided use)
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half and sliced
- dash kosher salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 oz Munster cheese or any melting cheese, sliced in thin strips
- 1 1/2 c enchilada sauce
- In a medium bowl, mix the gluten shreds, boiling water and vegetarian broth mix together and allow to stand 5 minutes or more. Set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium low heat, warm 1 teaspoon of the oil and saute the sliced onion for 5 minutes, sprinkling with the kosher salt. Stir the softened onions and the minced red bell peppers into the "chicken" shreds, mixing well.
- In the same skillet over medium low, heat a drop or two of the oil and heat one of the corn tortillas about 10-15 seconds on each side, or until softened. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill each softened tortilla with an eighth of the veggie/shreds mixture and with a strip or two of cheese (reserving 1/3 of the cheese for the top). Place seam down, side by side, in a medium baking dish. Spoon a little enchilada sauce over each and top with another cheese strip on top.
- Bake 15 minutes and serve hot with extra enchilada sauce if desired, sour cream and cilantro.