Vegetable Phyllo SquaresFor a lovely vegan, light luncheon dish, this easy phyllo dough recipe does the trick. Serve it with carrot/raisin salad and a light dessert.
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/4 c onion, minced
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 c frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, limas, green beans)
- 1/2 c vegetarian chicken product, finely diced (or use seitan)
- 1/3 c vegetable broth
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb Phylo dough, thawed
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to saute another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mixed vegetables and vegetarian chicken and heat briefly.
- In a small bowl, blend together the vegetable broth, flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Add to the skillet and stir until thickened and smooth.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the olive oil in a small bowl, and using a pastry brush, lightly oil an 8 x 8 inch (or comparably sized) baking dish.
- Divide phyllo sheets roughly in half.
- One by one, layer half of the sheets in the bottom of the baking dish, brushing a bit of oil on each sheet.
- Evenly pour in the skillet mixture.
- Place the remaining phyllo sheets on top, brushing each sheet with a tiny bit of oil.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top, dividing it in 6 portions, but not cutting all the way through the dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, cut into the 6 portions and serve with slices of lemon.