Soya Chicken : TVP Enchiladas
- 1/2 c soya chicken strips (textured vegetable protein or TVP)
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 c canned enchilada sauce
- 1 - 10 oz can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano (or 1 T fresh minced oregano)
- 1 tsp dry cilantro ( or 1 T fresh minced cilantro)
- 1 c fresh or frozen chopped turnip greens (or spinach)
- 2 c smoked cheddar cheese or other melting cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- Simmer soya chicken strips in enough water to cover for 10 minutes, stirring often. Meanwhile cook turnip greens or spinach in a tablespoon of salted water over low heat, stirring often until tender. Drain excess water.
- In a medium skillet, fry each tortilla in a scant teaspoon of oil, until softened on both sides. Put hot tortillas into a covered dish to keep warm as you continue with the recipe.
- In bowl, combine enchilada sauce and cream of celery soup. Set aside.
- In the empty skillet saute remaining vegetables for 3 minutes adding salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic, oregano and cilantro and saute another minute, stirring well. Mix in soya chicken with its soaking liquid, turnip greens (or spinach) and half of the creamy enchilada sauce in the skillet and continue to stir and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Ladle a few tablespoons of sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 9? or 11 x 6? baking pan.
- Roll enchiladas, filling them with 2-3 tablespoons of the skillet mix and a tablespoon of shredded cheese. Fit them in the baking pan seam sides down; cover with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.