Red Bean CasseroleThis is an easy and economical meal with big flavor. It's a little on the spicy side due to the can of diced tomatoes and green chilies but we love it that way!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 c celery, finely chopped
- 1 c bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 c green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 1/2 c cooked red beans
- 1/2 c bean liquid or water
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1/4 c texture soy protein granules (TVP)
- 1 c shredded jack cheese
- 2 c cornbread mix
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c cilantro, minced
- In a large skillet on medium heat, saute the celery, bell pepper and green onions in the vegetable oil for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and saute another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, red beans, bean liquid, salt and TVP granules. Stir well and simmer a couple of minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and transfer the skillet mixture to an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish. Top evenly with cheese.
- In a medium bowl, blend the cornbread mix, milk, and cilantro. Spoon onto the casserole and spread evenly, reaching nearly to the edges. Bake 30 minutes. Serve hot with sour cream.